Saturday, September 7, 2013

Homework

Hello Rhetoric 1 Students!

 Starting this week, Rob LaPlaca has agreed to begin work as the TA for this class. As a result, rather than bringing your ungraded homework to be checked in class, you will be e-mailing it to him. That means all of your chapter reviews for American History and Government, as well as your paragraph summaries for A Midwife's Tale must be sent to him. I will not be checking them in-class.

Keep in mind:

Blog posts are due by 8pm the night before YOUR class meets.

Chapter Reviews and Chapter Summaries for A Midwife's Tale are due by midnight of the day YOUR class meets.

Here's Rob's email. Please only use this email to send homework, thanks! If you have questions, please contact me, or ask them in the comment section below!


16 comments:

  1. I normally handwrite my chapter reviews for the History and Government textbooks, because it makes it easier to define the terms as I go along. Typing the chapter reviews would make my homework take a significantly greater amount of time, and it would make it harder to keep your notes and chapter reviews together. This is especially true this week, since all my homework is done, and re-doing the chapter reviews would take me at least 2 hours. Also, I didn't think we would be graded on chapter reviews (is this correct?), so wouldn't it be easier to just bring them to class?
    I am sure you have good reasons for doing this, but I just want to make sure you know the possible disadvantages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Courtney (and also everyone else concerned about typing!)

    For many students, making the transition to typing on a regular basis can be difficult! If typing is taking you a lot longer than handwriting, you may want to consider a typing program or class. Typing will almost certainly become a major part of your day-to-day routine, and is an essential skill in almost every field. It will certainly be an important part of your classes here at the Greenhouse. Just to clear something up, while the checked homework is ungraded, you will receive a Pass/Fail on it, so it still plays an important role in determining your GPA. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS If you have a scanner, you can simply scan your clearly printed homework and email it.

      Delete
    2. I'll do that for this week so I don't have to re-do my homework. Thanks for the information!

      Delete
  3. Do the chapter review include the terms?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you should define the terms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, so do we then send the Terms to Robby?

      Delete
    2. I did.. I assume thats what were supposed to do cause its part of the chapter review.

      Delete
    3. Yes, send everything to Rob. Also, as a measure of consideration try emailing him everything in one email, so that his inbox doesn't get flooded with multiple waves of homework. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Mr Parker,
    It said "Blog" in this week's homework; however, I haven't seen a blog post reading yet. Help?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Katie! "Blog" simply means that you have to write a blog post about one of the readings this week (a segment that you found interesting in the History Chapter for example). Check the guidelines for writing a blog post in the post titled "Tuesday Freshman Blog Posts". Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr. Parker,
    Do we need to send Rob the recipe or is that something we bring into class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, your recipes should be brought to class. No need to email them to Rob.

      Delete