We will be making soap in class this week, weather permitting. As such, if you wish to take part in the actual soap making process, you will need to wear warm work clothing and gloves. If you have access to safety goggles, please bring them along!
Are we doing this during History or Government period? Because Rhetoric has pictures during lunch, should we come with work clothes, or change into them after pics and lunch?
I'll be demonstrating the method, and if you would like to observe rather than participate, that's no problem! You won't need any protective clothing or eye-wear. However, we will be outside and it will likely be very cold, so bring a few layers of warm clothing, hats and gloves. This will be after lunch, so if you want to mix the soap/help pour you will need to change after pictures.
This is completely off the topic of soap making, and I know we are finishing up our documentaries, but I just found this website about 18th century language: http://www.history.org/history/teaching/enewsletter/june03/english.cfm I thought I should share it in case anyone else was in need of knowing how to address characters of different social status.
This is also off topic, but I don't know where else to post this. When we are doing footnotes, we should do a footnotes page, right? Because you can't have different footers on every page; if you type something on one page, it is there on all the others. Is that right?
Mr Parker, my book report is about 2,000 words long. Will you take points off for the length? I have covered all of the necessary points, and I'm assuming that is the most important aspect when grading it. Thanks!
Also, when inserting footnotes, what do I write for them? For instance, one of my sources is an encyclopedia. Would I give the name of the encyclopedia?
Another Footnote Question- If I have several sentences in a row with information from the same source, do I have to put a footnote after each sentence? or can I combine and put a footnote after the last sentence using that source?
Mr. Parker, I have a lot of quotes from A Midwife's Tale. (Obviously) After the first citation, can I write Ibid. and then the page number for each other one, or do I have to do a full citation for each quote if they are on different pages? For example, Ibid. 84, Ibid. 102, etc. Thanks!
You don't need page numbers. If the text it the same but the page number is different, do Ibid, pg. number, if it is totally the same that you can simply write Ibid.
On my report, I put a number after each individual quote in superscript, and then put the matching number before the corresponding footnote. If there were a bunch in a row from one page, I just put a bunch of numbers in front of the footnote.
Anna, can you add more music or sound effects? Or even more narrator commentary that would add a little more length to it? Since the minimum is 10 minutes, I'm assuming you should add another 30 seconds.
Do we need to help? i. e., does it affect our grade of we do not?
ReplyDeleteThank you!
I mean if we do not...:{ :)
Deletenot of we do not :)
DeleteAre we doing this during History or Government period? Because Rhetoric has pictures during lunch, should we come with work clothes, or change into them after pics and lunch?
DeleteI'll be demonstrating the method, and if you would like to observe rather than participate, that's no problem! You won't need any protective clothing or eye-wear. However, we will be outside and it will likely be very cold, so bring a few layers of warm clothing, hats and gloves. This will be after lunch, so if you want to mix the soap/help pour you will need to change after pictures.
DeleteShould I bring a box of latex gloves?
ReplyDeleteYes
DeleteThis is completely off the topic of soap making, and I know we are finishing up our documentaries, but I just found this website about 18th century language: http://www.history.org/history/teaching/enewsletter/june03/english.cfm I thought I should share it in case anyone else was in need of knowing how to address characters of different social status.
ReplyDeleteThat's a great resource!
DeleteThis is also off topic, but I don't know where else to post this. When we are doing footnotes, we should do a footnotes page, right? Because you can't have different footers on every page; if you type something on one page, it is there on all the others. Is that right?
ReplyDeletejust don't use footers :)
ReplyDeleteRight, you should be using footnotes, not footers. They are different things.
DeleteI know, but where should we put them? On a separate page?
DeleteJust make some room on the bottom of the page
DeleteWe were not required to write out the terms from chapter 9, so, should I write out those terms now to study, or will they be excluded from the test?
ReplyDeleteI don't think they will be on the test.
Deleteok. Thanks Nicole!
DeleteMr Parker, my book report is about 2,000 words long. Will you take points off for the length? I have covered all of the necessary points, and I'm assuming that is the most important aspect when grading it. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteMine is also about 1750 long, and I have shortened it as much as I can while still fulfilling the requirements. Help!
DeleteYou may go over a little, however it will reduce your score roughly a point per hundred words over the limit.
DeleteAlso, when inserting footnotes, what do I write for them? For instance, one of my sources is an encyclopedia. Would I give the name of the encyclopedia?
ReplyDeleteEasybib.com can help with all these questions.
Deletehttp://www.easybib.com/reference/guide/mla/encyclopedia
Another Footnote Question-
ReplyDeleteIf I have several sentences in a row with information from the same source, do I have to put a footnote after each sentence? or can I combine and put a footnote after the last sentence using that source?
Anytime that you have a repeated citation you should list the citation in full for the first instance and then Ibid. for each subsequent iteration.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteHow do you want us to add page numbers?
DeleteMr. Parker, I have a lot of quotes from A Midwife's Tale. (Obviously) After the first citation, can I write Ibid. and then the page number for each other one, or do I have to do a full citation for each quote if they are on different pages? For example, Ibid. 84, Ibid. 102, etc.
DeleteThanks!
I'll assume I can do that if I don't get a correction...I am finishing my paper now.
DeleteYou don't need page numbers. If the text it the same but the page number is different, do Ibid, pg. number, if it is totally the same that you can simply write Ibid.
DeleteHmm. maybe I misread that, you need page numbers for citations, but your paper's pages do not need to be numbered. Hope that makes sense!
DeleteIt does make sense. :) Thank you!
DeleteThanks! Exactly what I needed!
DeleteOn my report, I put a number after each individual quote in superscript, and then put the matching number before the corresponding footnote. If there were a bunch in a row from one page, I just put a bunch of numbers in front of the footnote.
ReplyDeletethat's sounds okay, I think.
DeleteMr. Parker, When we are done with our documentaries, we should email them to you, right? Also, what format should we email them in? .wav?
ReplyDeleteThat's right Nicole.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
DeleteDoes anyone know if we have to have credits at the end of our documentaries?
ReplyDeleteI am not sure, but I know we only have to have credits for sound effects if the creator says to (in freesound).
ReplyDeletehey, my audio documentary is only 9 minutes and 30 seconds long. Does anyone if that's okay?
ReplyDeleteAnna, can you add more music or sound effects? Or even more narrator commentary that would add a little more length to it? Since the minimum is 10 minutes, I'm assuming you should add another 30 seconds.
ReplyDelete